The History of Griffin Video began in 1930, as Griff Services, an electrical shop situated in front of a synagogue on Bristol Street, Birmingham, established by Francis Arthur Griffin, the father of Peter Griffin, who later joined the company and took the business into the fledgling radio and television industry. Peter eventually took over the business and continued to branch out further – with a name change to Griffin Radio Ltd. The firm went on to become one of the first TV rental services in Birmingham and later pioneered what was at the time, the developing technology of ‘Stereo’.
Then in 1978, bringing new blood and a third generation of the family, Stephen and James Griffin created the new entity of Griffin Audio Visual Ltd. to cater for another specialised field; television and video. Launched on a capital of £50,000, new premises were purchased and refurbished to provide a showroom, studio, offices and workshop facilities.